Selecting the right HVAC system for your home is a critical decision impacting your comfort, energy efficiency, and utility bills. With so many choices available, it can be difficult to determine where to start. Homer’s River City Heating and Cooling Inc. recognizes the intricacies involved and is proud to assist you at every stage of the process.

HVAC System
Black City Image - Homer's River City Heating and Cooling, Inc. in Lawrence, KS

How to Choose the

Right HVAC System for Your Home

Choosing the right HVAC system for your home can be a daunting task, but Homer’s River City Heating and Cooling Inc. is here to help. The right system ensures your home remains comfortable throughout the year while being energy-efficient and cost-effective. Here are five key steps to guide you in making the best choice:

  1. Assess Your Home’s Heating and Cooling Needs: Evaluate the size of your home, the number of rooms, and the local climate. This will aid in identifying the necessary capacity and type of HVAC system needed.
  2. Consider Energy Efficiency: Seek out systems with high SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) and HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) ratings. Although these energy-efficient units may be more expensive initially, they offer considerable savings on your energy bills in the long run.
  3. Evaluate Different Types of HVAC Systems: Central air systems, ductless mini-splits, heat pumps, and furnaces each have unique benefits and limitations. Consider what suits your home and budget best.
  4. Research the HVAC Brands: Quality and reliability differ across brands. Researching established brands and reviewing customer testimonials can offer valuable insights into the longevity and effectiveness of different systems.
  5. Consult with Professionals: Seek advice from HVAC experts like us. We provide personalized recommendations based on your home’s specific needs and our extensive industry knowledge.


HVAC System Efficiency Ratings

Understanding HVAC system efficiency ratings is crucial for making an informed decision. These ratings indicate how well a system converts energy into heating or cooling, directly impacting your energy bills and environmental footprint.

SEER Rating
The SEER rating evaluates the cooling efficiency of air conditioners and heat pumps. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the system. Modern systems range from 13 SEER to over 25 SEER. For regions with hot climates, a higher SEER rating is beneficial.
HSPF Rating
The HSPF rating applies to heat pumps and indicates heating efficiency. Similar to SEER, a higher HSPF rating means better performance. Heat pumps typically have HSPF ratings between 8 and 10, with higher ratings offering significant energy savings in colder climates.
AFUE Rating
The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating indicates the efficiency of furnaces by showing the percentage of fuel converted into heat. For instance, a furnace with a 90% AFUE rating turns 90% of the fuel it uses into heat, with the remaining 10% being lost. Higher AFUE ratings signify more efficient furnaces.
EER Rating
The Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) is another measure of cooling efficiency, particularly under specific conditions. It’s useful for understanding performance during peak demand times. Higher EER ratings are indicative of better efficiency.

Common HVAC Problems

and How to Prevent Them

Maintaining your HVAC system can prevent common issues and extend its lifespan. Here are some frequent problems and tips on how to avoid them:

  • Clogged Filters: Replace filters every 1-3 months to ensure proper airflow and system efficiency.
  • Refrigerant Leaks: Regular maintenance checks can identify and fix leaks before they cause significant damage.
  • Thermostat Malfunctions: Make sure your thermostat is properly calibrated, and think about upgrading to a programmable or smart thermostat for enhanced control.
  • Dirty Coils: Clean evaporator and condenser coils annually to maintain efficiency and prevent system strain.
  • Electrical Issues: Inspect and tighten electrical connections during routine maintenance to avoid unexpected breakdowns.
  • Blocked Drain Lines: Clear drain lines periodically to prevent water damage and maintain humidity control.

Keeping Your

HVAC System in Optimal Condition

By adhering to these guidelines and scheduling regular maintenance with Homer’s River City Heating and Cooling Inc., you can ensure your HVAC system operates smoothly and efficiently. We provide first-rate HVAC services to ensure your home remains comfortable and energy-efficient.

Contact Homer’s River City Heating and Cooling Inc. for expert advice and reliable HVAC services to keep your home comfortable all year round.